Monday, February 1, 2010

Fight Scene Fun!

Thanks to Mireyah Wolfe at Crimson Ink, Fight Scene Blog Fest is in full swing, with almost 40 bloggers participating. I’ve checked out a few and there are many talented writers out there. Visit Crimson Ink for the full list and get a sneak peek into some great unpublished pieces.

And here is mine from PURPOSE…

(Note: Tristan and Seth are the same person…and that’s all I’m gonna say! *evilgrin*)
(Warning: Rated PG-13…just sayin’)

Edmund’s eyes darted back and forth between Tristan and Mom as he moved a few steps to our right and his creature scurried next to him. Tristan moved, too, while Mom remained still. Edmund and his creature moved back to our left. This time both Mom and Tristan moved with him. They angled themselves to take him from both sides without leaving a wide enough gap for him to get to me.

“So why don’t you just make this easy for all of us, Seth?” Edmund finally spoke as they continued their sick dance. “You come with me and I’ll leave them alone.”

“Never!” Tristan snarled.

Edmund nodded at me. “You can bring her along, if you’d like.”

A deep, guttural growl rumbled in Tristan’s chest. He and Mom both took a step forward, their only reply.

“Then you’d rather fight it out.” Edmund made a tsk-ing sound and the creature’s shape transformed. It fell on all fours, became longer and taller in the darkness. It paced like a guard dog in front of Edmund, its eyes glowing red fire, a low growl in its throat. I shrank back while Tristan and Mom positioned themselves to fight. “Or maybe I just take her and let you chase me.”

Edmund leaped into the air, seeming to fly over Tristan and Mom, and landed right next to me, as they spun around. Tristan swore profusely. The dog-thing stayed behind them and crouched to attack. It continued to growl and even in the darkness I could see its lips pulled back, sharp fangs glinting in the little bit of natural light seeping in at the edges of the windows. Edmund grabbed the back of my neck tightly and pulled me to him. My mind and body numbed in terror.

“NO!” Tristan growled roughly.

He lunged at the bulky man, knocking Edmund hard against the wall, pulling me with him. My hip smacked painfully against the baluster at the top of the stairs. At the same time, the dog-thing jumped at Mom. She spun at it, her arms whacking it in the side like a bat hitting an oversized, misshapen ball, and it sailed across the room, landing with an inhuman cry. It was back on its feet in a second and charged at Mom. She crouched, ready for it. They simultaneously leaped toward each other and while still in mid-air, Mom grabbed its head and twisted it with a snap. The thing fell to the floor with a thud.

Mom landed lithely on the balls of her feet and whirled around to Tristan, the hulk and me. Tristan and the hulk glowered at each other in a standoff. Tristan held his hand up, palm facing Edmund but nearly two feet from him, holding the hulk flat against the wall with his paralyzing power, while Edmund’s hand still clutched my neck.

“LET. HER. GO!” Tristan roared. His eyes blazed with bright flames.

“You are such a traitor.” Edmund smirked, his own eyes glowing blood red. He slowly raised his free hand just an inch from the wall, fighting Tristan’s power with evident difficulty and apparently not able to move anymore than that. Mom stepped forward, but he was just able to twitch his finger and she flew into the loveseat, held there by an unseen force. Anger blazed in her eyes as she struggled against the power holding her, her shoulders and neck straining.

It pissed me off.

My heart pounded in terror but the anger rose above it. Just enough to give me the force I needed. It all happened so quickly, but it felt like slow motion as my mind registered every move, every detail. Just like Tristan taught me, I yanked on Edmund’s pinky finger, forcing his other fingers to follow and loosen his grip. I wrapped my other hand around the baluster and yanked it from its anchor. I lifted it as high as I could and slammed it down on the arm holding me. It wasn’t much compared to Edmund’s strength, but enough to distract him. He turned to look at me, his eyes wide and his mouth in a silent O. He apparently never expected me to fight back. Tristan seized the opportunity and pounced. I freed myself from the hand before it tried to close back on me and stumbled sideways, nearly falling down the stairs, catching myself on the opposite rail.

Tristan came down on the Daemoni, jabbing his elbow into Edmund’s upper back and his knee into the back of his thigh, the femur snapping loudly. The hulk fell into a heap on the floor, howling with both pain and rage. Tristan grabbed his dark hair and I turned away as he slammed his head against the concrete floor. The crack made my stomach lurch and echoed in my ears. I looked back as Tristan dragged him over to the creature’s body.

He leaned over and snarled, “Don’t fuck with me unless you can finish it.”

6 comments:

  1. How fun to read that scene again! I can't wait 'til the world gets to love Tristan and Alexis as much as I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Tristan and Mom are serious butt-kickers. Very nice...

    Very gripping. Love the pace in this. And I especially loved the image of Mom whacking at the beast like a bat. Too cool. And that last line...powerful. Sort of like "I'll be Back." It just resonates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH! This was AWESOME, Kristie! I'm Carol, that last line was just epic!! xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm *WITH* Carol--I swear I'm not actually Carol! ACK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol & Mireyah, I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reading. This blog fest was so much fun. What's next?

    ReplyDelete

My fave 3 Cs - coffee, chocolate and COMMENTS!